[CentOS] ext3 filesystems larger than 8TB

Fri May 2 23:57:37 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Monty Shinn wrote:

> I am trying to create a 10TB (approx) ext3 filesystem.  I am able to
> successfully create the partition using parted, but when I try to use
> mkfs.ext3, I get an error stating there is an 8TB limit for ext3
> filesystems.
>
> If ext3 isn't an option, has anyone used the kmod-xfs-smp.i686 module
> mentioned on the centos site?  Surely it doesn't have an 8TB limit...

You'll have all sorts of troubles with Ext3 once you step deeper into
the TB zone.

Just use XFS. That's what we did, works fine for us. And it's typically
faster when the files are very large (especially delete is very fast).

No other filesystem will be as reliable as Ext3 if the machine suddenly
loses power, but if you have a battery backup or something like that,
you should be fine with non-Ext3 filesystems.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/