[CentOS] Re: "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Wed May 7 12:34:50 UTC 2008
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

Michael Simpson wrote:

> do you have any mention of the new kernel in /etc/grub.conf?
>
> you might find that the default kernel is still the original one in
> which case there would be a line like
> default=1 in grub.conf
> changing this to default=0 might bring up the new kernel on reboot
> i have an old dual processor box that boots from the previous kernel
> after updates for some reason which i haven't researched

That's probably because your /etc/sysconfig/kernel contains:

     # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
     # new kernels the default
     UPDATEDEFAULT=no

Make the obvious change of "no" to "yes" if you want newly updated
kernels to become the boot default.

                 Do NOT delete it.