[CentOS] Re: "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Wed May 7 13:08:11 UTC 2008
Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson at gmail.com>

On 5/7/08, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
> Michael Simpson wrote:
>
> > do you have any mention of the new kernel in /etc/grub.conf?
> >
> > you might find that the default kernel is still the original one in
> > which case there would be a line like
> > default=1 in grub.conf
> > changing this to default=0 might bring up the new kernel on reboot
> > i have an old dual processor box that boots from the previous kernel
> > after updates for some reason which i haven't researched
> >

> That's probably because your /etc/sysconfig/kernel contains:
>
>    # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
>    # new kernels the default
>    UPDATEDEFAULT=no
>
> Make the obvious change of "no" to "yes" if you want newly updated
> kernels to become the boot default.
>
> --
Thanks for that!

It is a fedora 7 box which is responsible for internal dns and samba /
backup so having it set this way has been kinda handy as i have tested
the newer kernels on another similar but not as important box before
altering the default in grub.conf.

This bit of knowledge is *very* useful for me at the present time as i
have 2 CentOS 5.1 boxen (identical dell 2950s, dual quadcores, large
raid 6 yadda yadda) one of which is in production for an electronic
patient record for the NHS, the other for backup and testing of
updates.

/me firing up vi /etc/sysconfig/kernel

cheers

mike