[CentOS] Re: broken GFS

Mon May 12 23:48:44 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-12-2008 3:47 PM Linux spake the following:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Tru Huynh <tru-IFYaIzF+flcdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:40:22AM +0300, Linux wrote:
>>  > What a coincidence. That is the 1st time I live such a thing. Well,
>>  > show me a way to prove.
>>  /var/log/messages ?
> Only a small part of it.
>
>>  > This log is after update & reboot:
>>  > "May 11 16:06:03 xxxxx kernel: XFS: failed to read root inode"
>>  nothing more?
> Well, that is the only unexpected part. Just to show that XFS module
> was loaded for WRONG kernel. As you said, you newer saw before.
>
>>  > According to this, there is a mystery in "May 11 16:06:03" because
>>  > there WAS a kmod_xfs but it was 53.1.14, not 53.1.19 as updated
>>  > kernel.
>>  too bad you rebooted 1 hour before the kernel-xfs module update.
> When was kernel-xfs module updated in repository? Just that time? If
> so too bad CentOS folks do not update every piece of kernel as a whole
> in repositories. Where is integrity?
>
> If not, "yum update" does not update everything at once. I have to run
> yum update twice maybe more. First it will load kernel then see that a
> new kernel is available, will go and bring its modules...
>
> Still, it is a bit annoying and confusing. I am beginning to think
> whether XFS is really supported in CentOS :)
XFS is an add-on module that the CentOS developers added because people wanted
it. The official filesystem of CentOS is the same one that upstream has in
RHEL -- EXT3. To see if a filesystem is truly supported by a distro is to see
if one can select it at install time. Everything else is added on for someone
else's benefit.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and