[CentOS] Re: Partly OT: Is there a DVD (or other) firmware flash download program for CentOS/Linux?

Tue May 13 16:04:37 UTC 2008
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 23:21 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 18:27 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>  > > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > ><snip>
>

>  > NB: This also seem to apply to HD diags/repair. I had a Seagate SATA
>  > drive that developed a couple bad sectors. I downloaded the dos diags
>  > and it successfully repaired the bad sectors. Smartctl tests now report
>  > no bad sectors. It was only two to start with, so the efffort seemed
>  > worthwhile. Been about a week now - results good so far.
>  >
>  > >
>  > > >
>  > > >  Thanks.
>  > > >
>  > > >  mhr
>  > > ><snip sig stuff>
>  >
>  > BTW, there is a freedos version available which I've not used. But I do
>  > have DR DOS images available that I've used. WFM.
>  >
>  > HTH
>
>  P.S. The Seagate software includes its own DOS OS for those of you
>  contemplating any HD repair. It seems to be generic and it may be that
>  other utilities would work with it as well. YMMV.

FreeDos is DR DOS these days. Some Vendors use FreeDOS as its open to
hack for your hardware.. some vendors use Windows only apps that
require the Windows 'graphics' to work. Its all in the court of the
vendor of hardware you bought. [Dell has a project to upgrade BIOS's
in Linux which works for most of their shipped hardware... I really
wish IBM and HP would have joined them as it would make my life a lot
easier.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux