[CentOS] Re: Partly OT: Is there a DVD (or other) firmware flash download program for CentOS/Linux?

Tue May 13 18:32:29 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-13-2008 9:04 AM Stephen John Smoogen spake the following:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 23:21 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
>>  > On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 18:27 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>  > > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM, MHR <mhullrich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>  > > > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM, MHR <mhullrich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>  > > ><snip>
>>

>>  > NB: This also seem to apply to HD diags/repair. I had a Seagate SATA
>>  > drive that developed a couple bad sectors. I downloaded the dos diags
>>  > and it successfully repaired the bad sectors. Smartctl tests now report
>>  > no bad sectors. It was only two to start with, so the efffort seemed
>>  > worthwhile. Been about a week now - results good so far.
>>  >
>>  > >
>>  > > >
>>  > > >  Thanks.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >  mhr
>>  > > ><snip sig stuff>
>>  >
>>  > BTW, there is a freedos version available which I've not used. But I do
>>  > have DR DOS images available that I've used. WFM.
>>  >
>>  > HTH
>>
>>  P.S. The Seagate software includes its own DOS OS for those of you
>>  contemplating any HD repair. It seems to be generic and it may be that
>>  other utilities would work with it as well. YMMV.
>>

> FreeDos is DR DOS these days. Some Vendors use FreeDOS as its open to
> hack for your hardware.. some vendors use Windows only apps that
> require the Windows 'graphics' to work. Its all in the court of the
> vendor of hardware you bought. [Dell has a project to upgrade BIOS's
> in Linux which works for most of their shipped hardware... I really
> wish IBM and HP would have joined them as it would make my life a lot
> easier.]

I have several HP servers that have linux runnable bios upgrades, and also
alternate boot options like CD image or from flash drive.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and