[CentOS] broken GFS

Wed May 14 10:44:52 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Doug Tucker wrote:
> Tru,
>
> I work at a university.  They don't provide enough money for test
> environments :).  Just kinda odd, last time kernel update, gfs updated
> at the same time so all was well.  But twice now kernel has upgraded
> with no GFS so it went bye-bye.  Is the GFS being installed, compiled
> against particular kernel headers, or could I just copy the /fs/gfs
> and /fs/gfs_locking to the new kernel /lib/modules (or symlink for that
> matter) and be lucky enough it would work?

Please be aware that redhat releases GFS at a different time than the,
usually 2-3 days later (at the earliest).

In this case, here are the upstream release dates:

kernel - 5/7/2008
gfs kmods - 5/9/2008

my point is that even upstream does not release these  at the same time.

What you should do (and what everyone who has kmods on c4 should do) is
to exclude kernels from automatic updates ... then you can manually
update the kernels and kmods together separately.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes