[CentOS] Re: tar spanning

Sun May 18 20:06:39 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 11:49 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> <snip>
>> If you have a suitable server where you can park your IMAP folders you
>> can get the best of everything by using fetchmail to grab mail via POP
>> from gmail and deliver to your local IMAP folders.  This gives you a
>> chance to filter with procmail on the way in and your email client(s)
>> can manipulate the folders quickly.  If you configure gmail to 'archive'
>> a copy as you download with POP, you can delete your local copy after
>> reading it but still go back with gmail's web interface and find it with
>> their excellent search facility later.
>
> Les: Awhile ago, I spent a few minutes looking into SME Server. I may
> Burn that to a CD and try to configure my backup firewall/router box
> (now IPCop) as SME Server. SME Server seems to have a lot to offer, but
> I did notice one comment here about Proprietary stuff. Hopefully, the
> Proprietary stuff wouldn't be a problem for my use. Lanny

'Proprietary' isn't quite the right word as it is all open source.
'Highly customized' is a better description.  A few key components are
different and most of the config files are rewritten automatically by a
combination of templates, a database maintained by web form entries, and
perl scripts.  If you want exactly what it does, it is extremely well
thought out and easy to use.  If you want to do additional customization
it is harder.  Sometimes you can just install missing centos rpms, but
if you want integration with the web management you have to not only
understand the configuration but also the template and database
mechanism.  There is a large collection of contributed add-in modules
where someone has already done this work, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com