[CentOS] 1333/8GB Intel motherboard for C5.1

Tue May 20 17:13:36 UTC 2008
Nicholas <nicholas at oscc.org.my>

Drew Weaver wrote:

> Hi there, has anyone run into any Desktop/Workstation Intel brand
> motherboards that work with CentOS 5.1 (4.6/3.9 out of box
> compatibility is a very large plus) and work with the 1333MHZ cpus
> such as the 8400/9450 and accept 8GB of RAM? The closest we’ve found
> so far is the DG31PR which is alright but it has the limitation of 4GB
> of RAM and an unsupported Realtek NIC. The DQ35JO is also ok, but
> requires quite a bit of ‘jostling’ to get to work such as pci=nommconf
> and other tweaks, we need something that will work out of box, anyone
> found anything recently?
>
> Thanks in advance if anyone has any hints.
>
> -Drew
>

> --

Drew,

Typically Linux hackers can hack the kernel to use very large RAM.
Current applications are built to access up to 4Gb RAM at a time only.
For machines with RAM of more than 4Gb you need to verify that the CPU
comes with Physical Address Extensions (PAE). Call Intel to verify this
CPU is with PAE. So, now its the Linux kernel that you need to turn to.

CentOS 5.1 64 bit should not have this limitation. However, the
following method allows up to 64Gb out of box for CentOS 5.1 32bit (u
can try this if the 64bit didnt work out).

Do the following in runlevel 3 as root user;

# yum install kernel-PAE
# reboot
# free

But all this needs to come with distributed swap and use of appropriate
file system type to ensure performance.

--
Nicholas A. Suppiah

---