[CentOS] RAID5 or RAID50 for database?

Mon May 26 18:20:31 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Linux <linuxlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to me, it also exists in CentOS 5 with kernel 2.6.18-53.1.19.el5

I have no reason to doubt you since I don't use RAIDs at all (yet),
but that being the case, I offer the following:

1) File a bug report with as much detail as you can, including,
probably, your reference to Neil's thread on your [1] link to which my
original reply was directed.

2) Recognize that, if this bug is validated (which it probably will
be, if Neil is _the_ developer involved):

a) it won't be fixed in CentOS at all until the fix is propagated down
from Red Hat (although there is a slim possibility that it might get
fixed in a centosplus update);

b) it won't be fixed in Red Hat until the fix is propagated down from
either the kernel developers or the driver writer (whichever one RH
uses), and that may take some time.

3) Banging on the CentOS developers for a fix, or this list, probably
won't get any of us far.

However, for myself, I thank you for raising the issue and providing a
reference where we can all look at the details.  As I said, I don't
use RAID (yet), but if I ever do, I'll keep this issue in mind (or
somewhere that has reliable recovery methods) and see if it's fixed.

Regards.

mhr