[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 ?

Thu May 29 15:49:56 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> RHEL-5 will probably be 2.16 til its end of life.
>> This is generally true .. the minor kde or gnome version (that is the 5
>> in kde-3.5.4 or the 16 in gnome-2.16.0) has never changed in a the same
>> RHEL version in the past ...
>>
>> HOWEVER, I have heard that RHEL-6 is a ways off and that RHEL 5.3 will
>> continue to have major changes, even more pronounced than those in 5.2,
>> so we will need to wait and see :D
>
> Well one can hope... Personally I would love to see KDE 3.5.9
> pulled in as it is a lot more stable and robust then KDE 3.5.4.
>
> KDE 4.0 is still way too immature even for RHEL 6, the interface
> still needs a lot of working out, polishing and the icons need to
> look more, well less like a child's software system.
>
> I still prefer to use KDE 3.5 and 3.5.9 is definitely the way to
> go there.
>
> -Ross

Well hopefully the testing of KDE 4 in Fedora 9 will answer the issue of
whether it is ready or not for RHEL6. Also, as RHEL6 is still a way off,
and KDE 4 is developing fast, things _may_ have changed by the time it
is released. But I do agree, atm I'd personally rather see KDE 3.5 included.

The other factor to consider is the long term support issues related to
maintaining KDE 3.5 in RHEL6 given that I _think_ qt3 is already
unsupported.