[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 ?

Thu May 29 15:10:57 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >> Suits me - I have a different question (and it's probably up somewhere
> >> I don't have time to look at the moment - I'll check when I get to
> >> work, but by then I'll have forgotten this question again).
> >>
> >> Does 5.2 have an updated release of GDE with it?
> >>
> >> Every so often, among other things, when I exit Evolution, it crashes,
> >> but Bug Buddy says it can't report the bug because my GDE is too old.
> >>
> >> 5.0 came with GDE 2.16.0.  Gnome development is up to 2.23.1 (or later
> >> - I lost track).
> >>

> > RHEL-5 will probably be 2.16 til its end of life.
>
> This is generally true .. the minor kde or gnome version (that is the 5
> in kde-3.5.4 or the 16 in gnome-2.16.0) has never changed in a the same
> RHEL version in the past ...
>
> HOWEVER, I have heard that RHEL-6 is a ways off and that RHEL 5.3 will
> continue to have major changes, even more pronounced than those in 5.2,
> so we will need to wait and see :D

Well one can hope... Personally I would love to see KDE 3.5.9
pulled in as it is a lot more stable and robust then KDE 3.5.4.

KDE 4.0 is still way too immature even for RHEL 6, the interface
still needs a lot of working out, polishing and the icons need to
look more, well less like a child's software system.

I still prefer to use KDE 3.5 and 3.5.9 is definitely the way to
go there.

-Ross