[CentOS] FreeNX Shadowed Desktop issue

James Blackburn

jamesblackburn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:09:36 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice on desktop
shadowing with the latest CentOS 4's FreeNX.

I've installed the latest FreeNX RPMs as described on the wiki:
[james at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa |grep nx
nxclient-3.2.0-9
freenx-0.7.3-1.el4.centos
nx-3.2.0-8.el4.centos

And I can NX in using two separate test user accounts.

However when I try to enable shadowing I encounter two problems:
1) The shadow selection dialog doesn't show usernames (the column is
simply blank).  The result is that you need to know the display number
in advance.
2) On choosing a display, I get an error connecting (and an
authentication request is never shown on the display being shadowed).

I can work around 2 by first doing 'xhost +' on the display which is
about to be shadowed.  But this isn't ideal...

Any ideas / tips / pointers to more documentation appreciated!

Cheers,

James

NXlog attached containing: 1 session created, followed by attempt to
shadow from another user account.