[CentOS] Re: hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:40:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Matt <lm7812 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also the fact that the drive is showing up as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda
>> means that you are not using the best driver for the hard drive. Go into the
>> bios and try either native mode to serial ATA or SATA AHCI enable.
>> You might need to rebuild the initrd from a rescue disk after you boot.
>
>>>native mode to serial ATA
>
> Did that.  Now it shows up as sda again.  I no longer get the errors
> either but I get this now.
>
> [root at server log]# hdparm -i /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Smartd also complains on boot up.

Smartd is not that smart - it has known issues with SATA drives, as I
have posted on in this group recently.

I ran smartctl and Seatool (from Seagate, since mine is a Seagate
drive) tests on it and had no problems.  Of course, my WD and Hitachi
SATA drives don't do this, so maybe it is peculiar to Seagates....

mhr