[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 26 14:33:19 UTC 2008

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> No, the hypervisor in a virtualized environment is an absolutely
> critical component;  there is no room at all for fanboys.  VMware is a
> well established solution [+50% customer satisfaction, Citrix at ~30%;
> and +50% vs. ~20% marketshare.  VMware is the only virtualization
> solution to have increased its market share in the last year.]  With

If I cared about any of that boo-haa-haa I'd not be using Open Source or
CentOS.

> something this central do an organizations architecture it pays to be
> risk-averse;  and migrating between solutions is a miserable experience.

Depends on what you are doing and how much you know about it, I've
recently helped migrate a 50 node ( real hardware ) platform from VMware
to Xen, the total effort was about 2 days onsite, and downtime was 8
minutes.

>> and with the
>> fact that its 'available' off the shelf, zero cost up front. however to
>> make it do anything you still need to buy into vmware tools.
>
> This statement is false;  I have several stand-alone ESXi boxes running.
> There are no commercial products required for a working setup;  the
> commercial components provide motion, consolidated backed and the
> centralized management console [which is crap anyway].

How do you actually connect to the ESXi instance to setup a new VM and
manage existing ones ?

- KB