[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Nov 26 16:29:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 14:33 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > No, the hypervisor in a virtualized environment is an absolutely
> > critical component;  there is no room at all for fanboys.  VMware is a
> > well established solution [+50% customer satisfaction, Citrix at ~30%;
> > and +50% vs. ~20% marketshare.  VMware is the only virtualization
> > solution to have increased its market share in the last year.]  With
> If I cared about any of that boo-haa-haa I'd not be using Open Source or
> CentOS.

It doesn't make sense not to care about such things as they have real
bearing on the viability of a product/project.  And customer
satisfaction does mean something.   I do care about such things (they
are not the ONLY things) and they are reasons *to use* Open Source and,
particularly, CentOS.

> >> and with the
> >> fact that its 'available' off the shelf, zero cost up front. however to
> >> make it do anything you still need to buy into vmware tools.
> > This statement is false;  I have several stand-alone ESXi boxes running.
> > There are no commercial products required for a working setup;  the
> > commercial components provide motion, consolidated backed and the
> > centralized management console [which is crap anyway].
> How do you actually connect to the ESXi instance to setup a new VM and
> manage existing ones ?

You use the VIC client, which does not require the VIC server but can
connect directly to any ESX/ESXi host.  After you install ESXi you
navigate to the box with a web browser and there is a link to download
VIC directly from the host.