[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Thu Nov 20 06:55:00 UTC 2008
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:46:00PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> Hi folks... trying to pick between jfs and xfs for a filesystem.  In
>> the past we've used jfs with CentOS + centosplus, however, ...
>
> CentOS and its upstream source, RHEL, support ex3fs.   I'm not sure why
> you'd want to use anything else.   If you have a specific requirement for
> JFS, I'd suggest running a BSD or AIX system where JFS is native...  If you
> need XFS, I'd run a Linux distribution that supports it natively.
>
> If you roll your own hybrid operating system, you get to test and validate
> it, and if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

Thanks for the reply John.  However, my question wasn't so much "if I
should" but how the xfs support in CentOS compares to jfs.  It seems to
me that xfs is a bit more up-to-date.

If you'd like, consider the question academic vs giving me a
recommendation that pushes me down the path of unsupported filesystem
doom. :-)

Ray