[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Thu Nov 20 07:20:55 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:46:00PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>>> Hi folks... trying to pick between jfs and xfs for a filesystem.  In
>>> the past we've used jfs with CentOS + centosplus, however, ...
>>
>> CentOS and its upstream source, RHEL, support ex3fs.   I'm not sure why
>> you'd want to use anything else.   If you have a specific requirement for
>> JFS, I'd suggest running a BSD or AIX system where JFS is native...  If you
>> need XFS, I'd run a Linux distribution that supports it natively.
>>
>> If you roll your own hybrid operating system, you get to test and validate
>> it, and if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
>
>Thanks for the reply John.  However, my question wasn't so much "if I
>should" but how the xfs support in CentOS compares to jfs.  It seems to
>me that xfs is a bit more up-to-date.

I have not tried either of these on CentOS, but have on SuSE
Enterprise Linux.  I have lost data on both jfs and xfs on SuSE
so now use ext3 for everything as it's the only file system that
has never bitten me in the butt.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity --
    Dennis Ritchie