[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Wed Nov 26 19:20:31 UTC 2008
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> ESXi, like all vmware products, is highly polished and very reliable.
>> I am a HUGE fan of Xen, spent a lot of time learning it and I love it.
>> But don't discount ESXi since it's not open source.
>
> So very much off topic but I can't resist :)
>
> I like vmware a lot because they have made good products and have
> been a very long time supporter of linux. I have been using vmware
> since before 1.0 back in 1999 or maybe late 1998 on linux. In 2003-2005
> I used a bunch of VMWare GSX(again on linux), worked well, never let
> me down. In 2007 I started using ESX 3, so far only used the foundation
> version not the enterprise, but it's dirt cheap, $999 per 2 sockets,
> the same exact software was $3750 per 2 sockets a little over a year
> ago.
>
> It's among the most solid pieces of software I've ever used myself.

Well put, I also think that too.

I think the failure of Xen was it's failure to get included in the Linux kernel
early on. Now it's too late, there is such a wide gap between their
2.6.18 kernel and the current 2.6.27 kernel and the work to catch up
their hypervisor/kernel to current is going to make the work of polishing
their existing code suffer, not to mention that the distributions out there
are readying new releases on more current kernels that won't have the
Xen api built in and will need to either drop or patch/maintain them
which is too much work/effort = $$$.

Not getting Xen into the kernel earlier is going to be Xen's downfall.

-Ross