[CentOS] OT: C++ Newbie "Hello World" problem SOLVED

Lanny Marcus

Wed Oct 1 00:05:59 UTC 2008

Note: This began in the thread "[CentOS] Probably a bad setup but
which one?" but I don't want to hijack that thread.  "tech" began with
a similar problem, with the Perl "Hello World" script.

fred smith wrote:

> I can't get the "Hello World" program in the C++ book I began reading  to work. Seems to compile without errors, but nothing on my CRT.  Will  try it again and start a thread >here...   :-)

>Let me guess...

>you named it "test", right? Then when you run "test" "nothing" happens?

No. It is named Hello

>two things:
>1. there's already a program named test, which displays no output,
>it merely has an exit status.
>2. for a program in your current directory, run it with a preceding "./",
>e.g., "./test"--because "." is not in the path (and shouldn't be).

Fred: Thank you!   #2 was dead on.    :-)

[devel at dell2400 ~]$ ./a.out
Hello, World! I am 8 Today!
[devel at dell2400 ~]$

What I was lacking was the "./" in front of a.out    the file produced
when I compiled Hello.cpp   :-)

I will continue reading the book now!     :-)      Lanny

//: C02:Hello.cpp

// From Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition

// Available at http://www.BruceEckel.com

// (c) Bruce Eckel 2000

// Copyright notice in Copyright.txt

// Saying Hello with C++

#include <iostream> // Stream declarations

using namespace std;

int main() {

  cout << "Hello, World! I am "

       << 8 << " Today!" << endl;