[CentOS] Firefox distorted printing

Les Bell

lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Oct 1 00:10:53 UTC 2008

fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 12:05:37AM +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running a fully updated CentOS 4 box. Since the last few rounds of
> updates - upgrading to the latest Firefox, I find that I can not print
> Bank statements etc ( .ps files when saved to disk). The Bank's logo and
> any lines on the form print OK but the actual content is distorted
> beyond recognition - printing a series of special characters
> (!"$%&#'(") instead of transaction descriptions or amounts. Has anyone
> else experienced this or have a suggestion on how to fix the problem.

I have a similr issue with a Centos 4 system at work, on which i've
installed FF3.

My solution is to send my printouts to a different printer where they
print perfectly!

I've got an old HP Laserjet 4 at my desk, and that browser on that OS
prints mostly junk characters on that printer. There's also a HP 4250
outside my door, and that browser/OS combination prints fine on that
printer.
<<

There seems to be a known issue with Firefox 3 on all platforms, when
printing to Postscript printers. I started a thread about it on the Mozilla
support forums, did some experimenting, thought I'd fixed it, found I
hadn't and in fact, have never resolved it. Things you might try:

* Turning off "Allow pages to choose their own fonts"
* Changing the default character encoding from "Western (ISO-8859-1)" to
something else (and possibly back again)
* Disabling the use of the printer's fonts in your driver

It's been a show-stopper for me, and I'm thinking about going back to FF2.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Tel: +61 2 9451 1144