[CentOS] Flaky graphics - need help nailing down the cause

Wed Oct 1 20:23:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> This morning I noticed that my (new in July) monitor was behaving
> strangely.  At first, it was odd parts of web page graphics that
> didn't show up unless I scrolled up and down in the window, and then
> they weren't displayed with any consistency.
<snip>
Mark: Hook up another monitor and see if it has the same behavior. If
so, get an RMA for the video card. If not, change the video card and
see what happens. Since this was working properly and you do not seem
to have changed any software, my impression is that you have a HW
problem. The monitor or the video card or possibly even a cable. There
are great diagnostics for video that run on MS Windows (Yuk), called
"DisplayMate", put out by Displaymate Technologies Corp. Hopefully,
you can Download a Trial version and you will know whether or not
your monitor and video are working and set up correctly. I don't know
if there is something like that that will run on Linux. The
manufacturer of the monitor and video card might have Diagnostics on
their web sites that you can Download an run.  HTH,  Lanny