[CentOS] Flaky graphics - need help nailing down the cause

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:13:28 UTC 2008

""If I do downgrade (which I may well do), where do I get the right
driver?  I pulled these from rpmforge after my old driver didn't seem
to like the new monitor.""

DKMS: http://linux.dell.com/dkms/manpage.html
You should use "dkms remove <module_name>" first. Reconfigure the standard
graphics. What is advisable to you is that you use the newest non beta dkms
driver for your card. You may have to hand fetch it. The reason I say this
because I do not your Unix/Linux skill level. It will be a lot easier on you
doing this because you will not have to hand build the driver module every
kernel upgrade. Or copy over to the new kernel modules dir.

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics
This is a tutorial by me and Akemi Yagi.This method will work confirmed on
all centos/rhel versions 4.6 - 5.2. Be warned it is not finished but it will
give you a general idea of how to go about doing it.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

JohnStanley