AW: [CentOS] Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Oct 2 14:56:45 UTC 2008

> Griesbach, Lutz wrote:
>
> > Oh, c'mon!
>
> > If I want to talk about professional honor, I'd prefer a
> different list.
> > So, I thought it might be possible to stick in the release during
> > nightly updates, but your educational answer doesn't help much.
>
> Get out of your high horse. You are running a server with
> automatic updates and then talk of "professional honor" and
> "educational answer"? Try RTFM.

I think he was inferring that you insulting him did not help the question.

On a lighter side, I run with auto update on. I think it solves two issues.

1- it forces me to get the update/upgrade right away
2- it forces me to be on my toes incase it screws anything up as I have to
immediately fix it.

By not having it update I can sit on my butt and perhaps never do it. It is
easy to relax on your laurels as an admin. It is easier to read all the data
from previous people who have had issues and fixed things..it is a test of
your skills to be the first to figure it out.

Then it is back to pizza and watching cnbc as the stocks fall.....

On a lighter side,.....