[CentOS] Video driver questions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Oct 2 17:10:56 UTC 2008

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz a écrit :
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Server is already active for display 0
>>    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>>    and start again.
>
> Of course you will have to do this with X not running. Two solutions.
> Either edit /etc/inittab,

Thought I would have to do that....

So I did and it made a HUGH xorg.conf.new file.  With instructions to
try it out by:

X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

Well that brought up X but no window open and left or right mouse did
nothing.  So back to <cntl-alt-F1> and I see messages about VNC mode (I
have vncserver configured but not running), so it ws trying to do
something to accomidate vncserver if I should start it up?

And there are sections in the new xorg.conf that are not in the
current.  Like one for the mouse, a files section and the like, so I
figured i would cut and paste, but first....

I have another OQO with Centos installed that has the 'default' X setup
with no playing around with the Display manager, I figured I would look
at its xorg.conf to get back to basics.  Guess what, NO
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything works fine with the unit's 800x480
display.  I did a 'updatedb' then a 'locate xorg.conf' and all I found
was a man page file.  So how do it know what to do for the display in
default????