[CentOS] Video driver questions

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:43:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> When I install Centos, I default to the vesa driver, and it operates at the
> monitor's native 800x480.  Of course I want more and to physically scroll
> the screen to see all of the content (the OQO has slide bars on it that do
> cause the current active window to scroll).
>
> When I change the monitor settings to Generic LCD 1024x768, I get that and
> 800x600 as an option.  If I change the screen resolution to either 800x600
> or 1024x768, and log out of X and log back in, my resolution is unchanged at
> 800x480.

I can't help wondering why you'd want a 4x3 aspect ratio on a screen
that has a (roughly) 16x10 widescreen aspect ratio, but that's your
baby.

After you set the monitor type and display in
System->Administration->Display, do you also go to
System->Preferences->Screen Resolution to set that?  I had a similar
problem with my 16x10 monitor until I changed both.

HTH

mhr