[CentOS] Re: Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 2 19:12:23 UTC 2008

on 10-2-2008 4:11 AM Griesbach, Lutz spake the following:
> Hy there,
>
> i have a centos (4.?) Box  with nightly yum update enabled. Last night, it did an upgrade to 4.7 leading to several problem i.e. not respawning the dhcrelay, which is needed on this box.
>
> Can I control the update policy not to upgrade to new releases in the nightly updates? I would like do to nightly updates, but make release upgrades manual (I get a new kernel, so I have to reboot anyway).
>

> Is that possible?
>

> Regards,
As far as yum and the machine are concerned, an update of one package or 200
is still an update. There are no versions 4.6 or 4.7 in a strict technical
sense, they are all CentOS 4. They are just a point in time that the updates
are frozen long enough so new install CD's/DVD's can be built.

Yum has no way to tell the difference either. You should turn off automatic
updates, and do them all manually, and maybe join the announce list to be
notified of new updates.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and