[CentOS] Solved: Dell PE2850 with 4GB RAM - Get a hold of yourself

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 17:17:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Vandaman <vandaman2002-rt at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> That's why I posted my question about Xboard on CentOS 4 here.
> I guess you did not see this nor the question about mailing list spam.

I didn't see a need for comment - I imagine the hundreds of other who
also did not comment on these probably did see them, too.

> There is no hostility in asking people not to conduct conversations
> with themselves or to "style up". Back in the day you would be mincemeat
> for doing what people are doing here....

I remember those days quite clearly, thank you.  I think I even have a
few flame wars saved, somewhere.

But things have changed, and this list is one of the most helpful and
least inflammatory around - viz. the off topic conversation (?) about
spam that won't quit (you have added a few pence of your own, there,
too...).

> You can tell I'm already lightened up - basic google searches on find
> on Linux has about 4.8 million replies but I didn't mention this to the
> dozen or so responses to that topic. Sorin Srbu contacted me offlist and
> you can bet what was said remains offlist.

Actually, mention of the google searches probably would not have hurt.
 However, even I posted a helpful comment (I hope) in that thread,
largely because I didn't think to blast off a (new age) RTFM/GIYF
response.  Had you done so, I wouldn't have raised a peep.  (And, to
me, that's different - I've been soundly and deservedly lambasted for
failing to do basic research, like a google search, for some of my
very basic questions that are easily answered, so I must be feeling
good this morning for me not to have said so.)

Thanks for the reasoned response.

mhr