[CentOS] Proposed New Mailing List

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:43:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Vandaman <vandaman2002-rt at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> And yea, working on setting up a sort of list to handle
>> much of this semi OT traffic. More news on that around
>> Wed next week, dint ask about it now.
> Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
> as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
> but one in which the OP has not even done basic research
> on his problem.
> One distro had a "brainflash" a number of years ago - create
> a list for expert users and one for newbies. It didn't take
> long for the newbies to realise that there was no one to
> help and so flooded the "expert list". This put off the
> "experts".
> On some mailing lists, long time users are put off by the
> flood of posts by newbies who don't even conform to the list
> guidelines. Some pay back by not replying to those in violation
> without as much as a hint.
> Would a new list really solve anything or would it close
> one door and open another?

A CentOS social list would allow the crumedgeon'ing to
happen off the main list and for users looking for ISPs or
other CentOS community recommended wares/services.

I seriously doubt they would be talking newbie/expert lists,
as I believe the whole purpose of the lists is to share your
knowledge with the less knowledgable. If it were all experts
there would be no traffic!