[CentOS] Proposed New Mailing List

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:32:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 03 October 2008 21:33:09 Vandaman wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > And yea, working on setting up a sort of list to handle
> > much of this semi OT traffic. More news on that around
> > Wed next week, dint ask about it now.
>
> Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
> as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
> but one in which the OP has not even done basic research
> on his problem.
>
> One distro had a "brainflash" a number of years ago - create
> a list for expert users and one for newbies. It didn't take
> long for the newbies to realise that there was no one to
> help and so flooded the "expert list". This put off the
> "experts".

Not true - if you mean Mandrake/Mandriva.  For several years the newbie and
expert lists worked well.  People used the newbie list and quite a few
knowledgeable people supported it.  Then the OT stuff got out of hand and
experts stopped reading it, so people started using the expert list for newbie
questions.  That was OK until the OT stuff got out of hand, then experts
stopped reading it.  There were, however, other issues as to why experts moved
away, which are not relevant to this discussion.

> On some mailing lists, long time users are put off by the
> flood of posts by newbies who don't even conform to the list
> guidelines. Some pay back by not replying to those in violation
> without as much as a hint.

And that is rude and thoughtless.  Newbies don't necessarily know how and
where to look for help.

> Would a new list really solve anything or would it close
> one door and open another?

That would depend on whether the list is valued enough for people to respect
it.

Anne