[CentOS] Proposed New Mailing List

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 11:09:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 08:32 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 03 October 2008 21:33:09 Vandaman wrote:
> <snip>

> > On some mailing lists, long time users are put off by the
>
> > flood of posts by newbies who don't even conform to the list
>
> > guidelines. Some pay back by not replying to those in violation
>
> > without as much as a hint.
>

> And that is rude and thoughtless. Newbies don't necessarily know how
> and where to look for help.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is an expectation (apparently
unreasonable in today's society) that newcomers will make themselves
aware of the courtesies and protocols used on a given list. If they
haven't done so, or choose to make no effort to conform, why should
*our* valuable time be wasted on such? It is better to only waste the
OPs time. Having said that, most denizens do make an effort to point the
offender in the right direction and even help. But all have limits
unique to them. Their time is not for others to waste.

So, I don't consider it rude and inconsiderate. It is, IMO, very
courteous and considerate when compared to some alternatives I've seen
used. It is a matter of personal choice.

Just as in the real world, there is certain behavior expected from those
with whom I *choose* to interact. Rudeness tends to be POV-centric.

> > Would a new list really solve anything or would it close
>
> > one door and open another?
>

> That would depend on whether the list is valued enough for people to
> respect it.

True, true. But as I know you've seen, there are those who respect
nothing other than their own needs.

> Anne
> <snip sig stuff>

MHO