[CentOS] [SOLVED - Sort Of] Installing a new VM on a xen box.

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Oct 9 16:31:22 UTC 2008

James B. Byrne wrote:

> So, on my test machine that supports only paravirtualization I can only
> run 64 bit versions of a supported paravirtualized guest OS.  This limits
> me to essentially CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 ix_64.  I was hoping to be able to
> run CentOS-5.2 i386 as a guest as there is no 64 bit Sun JRE that allows
> Firefox to run Java applets.

Why not run it in fully virtualized mode instead of paravirtualized?
Does your CPU lack the instruction set needed for full virtualization
under Xen? I've never used Xen myself, followed it off and on and
at least for me it's never looked interesting enough to pull me away
from vmware. Now it looks like Red hat has woken up and seen it is
a dead end too and is moving to KVM as you mentioned.

nate