[CentOS] [SOLVED - Sort Of] Installing a new VM on a xen box.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Oct 9 16:27:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, October 9, 2008 12:09, James B. Byrne wrote:

> So:
> # cd /path/to/vm/os/install_tree
> # cp -pr /media/CentOS_5.2_Final ./
>
> Thereafter the Install Media URL becomes:
> /path/to/vm/os/install_tree/CentOS_5.2_Final

Well, RH implementation of xen appears far less useful from an
experimentation standpoint than I expected.  From the Virtualization
Guide:

With Red Hat Virtualization, 32-bit hosts runs only 32-bit paravirtual
guests. 64-bit hosts runs only 64-bit paravirtual guests. And a 64-bit
full virtualization host runs 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, or 64-bit guests. A
32-bit full virtualization host runs both PAE and non-PAE full
virtualization guests.

So, on my test machine that supports only paravirtualization I can only
run 64 bit versions of a supported paravirtualized guest OS.  This limits
me to essentially CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 ix_64.  I was hoping to be able to
run CentOS-5.2 i386 as a guest as there is no 64 bit Sun JRE that allows
Firefox to run Java applets.

Oh well, this was just a trial to see what was involved with virtualization.

Canada  L8E 3C3