[CentOS] More Samba Questions

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Oct 9 20:24:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>I have never setup a Samba server, and the recent thread here prompted to
>get on this I need to migrate two XP machines from using iSCSI to Samba.
>
>I thought the "+" preceding a username in the smb.conf file for a
>share definition told Samba to use the unix username? Unless I actually
>use swat to create and enable the user and take off the + it doesn't work.

Why would you put user names in the smb.conf file?

Use encrypted passwords, then using the smbpasswd command to
create entries in the smb.passwd file.

smbpasswd -a username

The -a option tells smbpasswd that the user is in the system
/etc/passwd file.  You will still need to type the password.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.  -- Buckminster Fuller