[CentOS] Question about Mirrors

Bo Lynch

blynch at ameliaschools.com
Fri Oct 10 15:11:41 UTC 2008

I am trying to set up a local repo for my division. I tried to rsync 5.1
updates off the mirrors and recieved an error of no file or dir. After
going to the mirror, I notice that all of the 5.1 filder is empty and
there is a readme there that states.....
This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated.  For normal users,
you should use /5/ and not /5.1/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
concerning the CentOS release scheme:

http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34

If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 5.1
level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.

So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I should
use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
release?
Thanks for you help.
--
Bo Lynch