[CentOS] Question about Mirrors

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 15:39:58 UTC 2008

Bo Lynch wrote:
> I am trying to set up a local repo for my division. I tried to rsync 5.1
> updates off the mirrors and recieved an error of no file or dir. After
> going to the mirror, I notice that all of the 5.1 filder is empty and
> there is a readme there that states.....
> This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated.  For normal users,
> you should use /5/ and not /5.1/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
> concerning the CentOS release scheme:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34
>
> If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 5.1
> level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.
>
> So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I should
> use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
> the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
> release?
> Thanks for you help.

You *don't* run 5.0, 5.1 or 5.2, you run 5.

The point releases (5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc) are simply snapshots in time of
the CentOS 5 product life cycle where development was temporarily frozen
just long enough to spin a set of install media.

You should always get updates from 5 which is a link to the current (and
only supported) release. This happens to currently be 5.2. If you were
to get updates directly against 5.2 then when 5.3 is released you would
get no more updates to CentOS 5 ever. This is why you should *never*
link updates against 5.x and always 5.

Note: 5 and 5.0 are not the same thing.

Hope that helps :)