[CentOS] new list proposal

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:59:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 20:41, Kenneth Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net> wrote:
> ----- "Jeff" <jlar310 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I favor one-stop shopping.
>
> I believe creating another list is a mistake. [...]
> a second list will only encourage cross-posting.

I second that.

As I see it, although this talk of what is on or off topic started on
the thread about "parted" (which in my opinion is relevant to CentOS),
the thing that really started this was the thread with subject "App
Question", which was a cross-post to three different lists with a
question as generic as it can get.

A second list will not fix this, the offender will just cross-post to
one more list.

Another good example of why this does not work is that, although the
centos-virt list exists, many topics that are virtualization-related
are discussed on the main list. This does not bother me at all since I
subscribe to both.

Sincerely, I believe the most effective tool to reduce the noise would
be to reply *off list* to offenders telling them that they should step
up and behave properly if they want to take part of the list. Top
posting/trimming/html could also be handled with off list replies.
This would have the bonus of not creating more noise and having the
offender get tons of replies giving them yet another incentive to
follow the rules.

The decision is not mine, but I would oppose creating a new list.
However, if you do, I will sign up too.

Anyway, just my 2¢ Canadian.

Filipe