[CentOS] new list proposal

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 10:10:09 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Morten Torstensen wrote:
>> I think the general CentOS list should be an open and embracing
>> community. A centos-tech list sounds more like the name of the
>> "developer" or "power user" list than a semi-off-topic technology
>> discussion group. That was my first thought when seeing the new name.
>
> What would you recommend as an alternative name for the list ? And it
> wont be 'offtopic' technology chatter, it will be very much ontopic
> there :D

I agree with Morten to the extent that I don't think the proposed
name(s) of the list(s) convey the distinction(s) between them that well.
Your explanation is clear enough but just looking at the list names it
maybe not be clear to everyone, particularly new list members who
haven't had the benefit of reading this discussion.

Maybe something like centos-support for the current list and
centos-techtalk for the proposed new list makes the distinction a little
clearer (I'm not a great one for coming up with names - my point is more
that maybe the current list name could also be tweaked to aid in
differentiating between them).