[CentOS] OT: reset IBM Bladecenter AMM web access

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Oct 26 17:37:35 UTC 2008

Am 26.10.2008 um 18:21 schrieb John R Pierce:

> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>> The default IP is useless to him, unless he has a laptop or some
>> other system connected to it cross-over or at least on the same
>> switch.
>> He's at home right now, I guess, so he should look for someone who
>> does know the real IP of that MM.
>> Because to reset it to factory-default, you've got to have physical
>> access (at which point he could just removed it from the BC and
>> plug it in again...).
>
> um, simply unplugging it is not going to reset it to factory
> defaults, as the config is stored in NVRAM.

Yep.
The the OP didn't want to factory-reset it.
Someone else brought-up that subject.
He just wanted to reboot it (which is needed often...)

> when you've reset its IP and username per the page given http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0519.html?Open
> as the article says, it will default to DHCP, so you'll need to dig
> into your DHCP server's cache and find out what IP it was assigned
> based on its MAC address
>
> If this network segment doesn't HAVE dhcp, you get to access it from
> a host on the SAME LAN segment which has had a 192.168.70.xxxx IP
> added ... you can 'remote desktop' to a windows machine on that
> vlan, or ssh -X to a 'nix system, and config said target to have an
> extra address 192.168.70.xxx then access the MM via a browser run on
> said remote host and reconfigure it.
>

> whomever earlier 'knocked' the IBM AMM, I dunno, I think they are
> damn nifty, at least as nice as HP's iLO or Dell's DRAC.

That was me.
They require reboots from time to time, especially if you work a lot
with them.
Maybe it got better in later firmwares - but the problem was that they
didn't stop working outright, they just didn't work 100%.
While you were wondering why some particular thing didn't work, all
that was needed was a reboot....

Rainer