[CentOS] Re: Apparently no swap configured

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 28 15:29:43 UTC 2008

on 10-28-2008 3:25 AM William L. Maltby spake the following:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 00:21 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Ian Masters wrote:
>>> which show your swap partition, whereas on my problem system, 'swapon
>>> -s' produces no output at all.
>> ok, that confirms your supposition, you have no swap configured.
> Although I disagree, some on this list have proclaimed that a "properly
> configured" (for the intended use I guess) system needs no swap.
>> <snip>
A properly configured system "can" need no swap for day to day operations, but
you only need *one* runaway process to max out the memory and bring the system
to a crashing halt. A little swap is just like a cheap insurance policy. You
hope you don't need it, but if you do, you are glad it was there.

Even though the recommended swap is 2 times system memory, I have never made a
swap partition over 2 GB. Maybe I am also flirting with disaster, but haven't
been bit yet in years. Usually a run away process that hits into swap gives
enough time for the kernel to kill it off before the whole system dumps.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!