[CentOS] Re: Apparently no swap configured

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Oct 29 00:38:19 UTC 2008

> Even though the recommended swap is 2 times system memory, I have never made a
> swap partition over 2 GB. Maybe I am also flirting with disaster, but haven't
> been bit yet in years. Usually a run away process that hits into swap gives
> enough time for the kernel to kill it off before the whole system dumps.

I am sorry but that 'recommended' swap should be twice the of RAM
installed is complete nonsense and I treat the LPI certificate as
rubbish precisely because they subscribe to that nonsense. The roots of
swap = 2xRAM comes from an old release of Solaris which REQUIRED swap be
2xRAM. In today's environment, there is no standard rule for how much
swap to configure. If there is one, it is simply 'configure as much as
you need and want.'