[CentOS] "core" installs of 5.2 missing crucial packages like yum, selinux-policy-targeted, vim-minimal, etc.

Johnny Tan

linuxweb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 19:34:29 UTC 2008

I had a 5.0 kickstart server which did "core" installs of
CentOS (i.e.: "%packages --nobase").

I recently setup a 5.2 kickstart server. Using the same
kickstart configs, I notice a few packages are always
missing, notably: yum (!!), selinux-policy-targeted (even
though I have "selinux --enforcing" in the kickstart, it
always ends up with that package missing and selinux
disabled), vim-minimal, etc.

Looking at comps.xml for 5.2 os tree, it shows all of these
packages in the "core" group, just like 5.0 does. So it's
not that the "core" group has changed.

Looking at the Release Notes for 5.2, I see this entry:

"Kickstart scripts that worked for 5.0 and/or 5.1 may have
issues on CentOS 5.2 installation trees. So first test your
kickstart scripts with CentOS 5.2 before using them in
production."

I'm guessing this has something to do with my problem, but
there's no further details.

Does anyone have any insight into the above Release Notes
entry, and/or my problem in general?

p.s. I setup a 2nd kickstart server in a completely
different environment, and am still seeing the same issue.
I'm about to try a CD-based install of 5.2 and see if that
also has the issue.

johnn