[CentOS] vmcore

Wed Oct 1 23:17:55 UTC 2008
NiftyClusters T Mitchell <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:50 AM, Mag Gam <magawake at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to analyze a kernel vmcore. Are there any docs you can
> recommend for me to read to  understand the process?

The kernel is a massive C program.
Download the source that matches your kernel and make yourself a set of  tags
(ctags or gtags what ever you like).

When it blew up you should have some points in the stack with symbol names.
Walk through the call stack and look at the input and output of each
function with
the source in front of you.....
See where that (and a good search on the web) takes you....

   http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/kdump_slides.pdf

If you made any source changes look for errors in your code  ;-)

If you are running stock mainline code -- file a bug and if you find the source
of the bug first do an add to the report with what you  think the error is.

--
        NiftyCluster
        T o m   M i t c h e l l