[CentOS] Video driver questions

Thu Oct 2 14:44:29 UTC 2008

My OQO has a VIA chipset.  From the hwconf:

class: VIDEO
bus: PCI
detached: 0
desc: "VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700M2 UniChrome PRO II Graphics"
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: 3157
subVendorId: 1106
subDeviceId: 3157
pciType: 1
pcidom:    0
pcibus:  1
pcidev:  0
pcifn:  0

When I install Centos, I default to the vesa driver, and it operates at
the monitor's native 800x480.  Of course I want more and to physically
scroll the screen to see all of the content (the OQO has slide bars on
it that do cause the current active window to scroll).

When I change the monitor settings to Generic LCD 1024x768, I get that
and 800x600 as an option.  If I change the screen resolution to either
800x600 or 1024x768, and log out of X and log back in, my resolution is
unchanged at 800x480.

So I tried using the VIA driver that comes with Centos.  It does not
list the CX700, but, you know, give it a try.

At first I get errors from X when logging in, finally I get changes to
occur, but I am still at 800x480.  Selecting 800x600 or 1024x768 mkaes
no difference.  Below is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Any ideas on what to try?

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection