[CentOS] Video driver questions

Thu Oct 2 14:56:13 UTC 2008
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Robert Moskowitz a écrit :

> At first I get errors from X when logging in, finally I get changes to
> occur, but I am still at 800x480.  Selecting 800x600 or 1024x768 mkaes
> no difference.  Below is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Any ideas on what to try?

Backup your existing configuration.

As root:

# X -configure

# mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This will give you a first draft to start from. What you usually have to
edit by hand:

1) keyboard layout

2) DefaultDepth (mostly 24 if you want 16 million colors)

3) Screen resolution (if you don't want the default, Modes "XxY" will do)

Check the Driver section if your driver is listed OK instead of "vesa".

Once this is working, you can fine-tune bits like DRI, Composite, etcetera.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs