[CentOS] Re: [OT] What is the best network monitoring tool?

Mon Oct 13 20:15:21 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

John R Pierce wrote:

>>> well, SNMP isn't going to tell you much about the state of a webserver
>>> or databbase statistics or whatever, its mostly just network
>>> information.
>>>

>> It can tell you just about anything depending on how you
>> configure it, SNMP is just a protocol. I get DB stats, system
>> stats etc from SNMPD by hooking in custom OIDs to external
>> scripts/files.
>>

> and thats different than configuring remote agents ?

Remote agents for anything but snmp protocol tend to be specific for a
particular monitoring tool and often available for only one or a limited
number of platforms.  Snmp is built into most network-capable devices.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com