[CentOS] Re: [OT] What is the best network monitoring tool?

Mon Oct 13 21:52:28 UTC 2008
Ivan Levchenko <levchenko.i at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It can tell you just about anything depending on how you
>>> configure it, SNMP is just a protocol. I get DB stats, system
>>> stats etc from SNMPD by hooking in custom OIDs to external
>>> scripts/files.
>>>

>> and thats different than configuring remote agents ?
>
> Remote agents for anything but snmp protocol tend to be specific for a
> particular monitoring tool and often available for only one or a limited
> number of platforms.  Snmp is built into most network-capable devices.

exactly the way i'm thinking about it. this gives you the option to
switch between any monitoring tool that properly supports snmp and  i
will not have to change anything on the client side. plus, as far as i
know, snmp gives disk usage info, and, afaik, also running processes.
for now, that's enough for me.