[CentOS] new list proposal

Thu Oct 16 21:59:27 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008, Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> > Given the overall poor reception of the idea, I'd just put it on
>> > the back burner for now...
>> yes, thats sounding like a good idea for the time being.
>
>I don't think it is a good idea. I think that we need two separate
>lists. One for general users, one for server sysadmins.
>
>What we don't know from all the people against splitting the
>list is in what capacity they are using CentOS. Are they desktop users?
>Are they running their own home network? Are they small-time sysadmins?
>Are they managing a Tier 1 ISP?

I am against splitting, and support a fairly large number of machines here,
and at our customer sites.  Our customers range from small businesses with
fewer than a single Linux box and fewer than a dozen users to regional ISPs
with thousands of clients.

I subscribe to about 30 Mailman lists based on the number of monthly
reminder notices sitting in my postmaster mail folder here, and we host a
small number of Mailman lists as well.

I answer more questions on lists like this than I ask, and have been doing
similar e-mail and usenet stuff since the mid '80s when I was a
co-moderator on several COMPUSERVE *nix related lists.

FWIW, I have been supporting, integrating, and adminstering *nix systems
for 26 years, and Linux systems since 1995 or so starting with Caldera,
then SuSE, and now CentOS with a smattering of other Linux systems,
FreeBSD, etc. just to make life interesting.

As I said before, I scan the subjects of new threaded messages looking for
things that look interesting, deleting far more than I read (hint to
newbies -- make subjects meaninful, not just ``help'').

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

A fake fortuneteller can be tolerated.  But an authentic soothsayer should
be shot on sight.  Cassandra did not get half the kicking around she deserved.
    -- R.A. Heinlein