[CentOS] new list proposal

Thu Oct 16 21:00:42 UTC 2008
Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz>

> > Given the overall poor reception of the idea, I'd just put it on
> > the back burner for now...
> yes, thats sounding like a good idea for the time being.

I don't think it is a good idea. I think that we need two separate
lists. One for general users, one for server sysadmins.

What we don't know from all the people against splitting the
list is in what capacity they are using CentOS. Are they desktop users?
Are they running their own home network? Are they small-time sysadmins?
Are they managing a Tier 1 ISP?

I would hazard a guess and say that most of the people who are
pro-split are people managing bigger networks, and possibly have more
experience with linux/unix. I am certainly in this category and I would
like to see a new list on the basis that I don't care about typical
general chatter or "newbie" problems.

It's also my experience that if you ask people what they want, they
will be reluctant to change, just on principle. Make the change for
them and they'll adapt (albeit after a bit of whining).

Perhaps another idea would be to have a sysadmin list that is actually
moderated. But I think you should split the lists if you want to. It's
not a democracy, as has been mentioned. This is your sandpit.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz