[CentOS] new list proposal

Thu Oct 16 22:01:27 UTC 2008
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM, John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> MHR wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you - for listening, participating, discussing and making the
>>> right choice.
>>
>> At the moment, its more a case of a 'failure to communicate' in my
>> opinion. Lets see how it pans out. There are still some really good ideas in
>> this thread, most worth looking at.
>>
>> - KB
>
> I certainly hope this idea doesn't go into the trash bin. Basically, as a
> sysadmin, this list is like a 10 to 1 noise to signal ratio for me. Today...
> Firefox crashes. I don't run Firefox on any of my CentOS machines, nor any
> GUI. The bulk of the posts seem to regard something that is more desktop
> related. Please understand this is not a negative as this is one fantastic
> service to those working with CentOS. All good, 'including' the Firefox
> thread. That's just today's top 10, 15, or 20 emails I'll get that I just
> have to delete. Oddly though, I normally at least look at the Firefox stuff
> to see if there is anything I need to know about.

What about the sysadmin that needs to support CentOS desktops?

> But there is a big difference with getting CentOS to run, bugs or perceived
> bugs in CentOS, dealing with various hardware issues versus discussions of
> best practices for running CentOS or actually, for me, creating a robust
> system for the public side.

Sometimes best practices = creating a robust system for the public side

> I simply do not understand the closed mind attitudes of creating a second
> list. If it does not pertain to you, don't sign up for it. But for me,
> almost everyday, I'm doing a shift select delete of the entire CentOS list
> simply because I don't have time to sort through the bulk that is not
> pertinent to me. I actually feel bad for doing this because I am rarely
> contributing.

I don't think it's as closed minded as current list members don't feel a real
need to have a second list. Just as much harm can be had by spreading
things too thin. Say you have 3 lists, but majority of helpful contributors
collect in 1 of the 3, which list do you think will get the most traffic, and
more infuriating the most OT traffic.

> Linux distros have changed dramatically over the last ten years. It's simply
> not as easy as it used to be to get everything to work happily together.
> There is more of a need now than ever to have best practices especially for
> public facing servers. Often times there is a fine line between whether it
> is a CentOS issue, if it is any package provided within CentOS or a case
> where one needs to go to the provider of the software from which that
> package is created. Maybe I'm the only one here, but I find it difficult
> many times to get good help within the lists of those software providers,
> which can often times be a perfectly fantastic cure, but not one that works
> well within the constraints of CentOS. (I like those constraints, most of
> the time).
>
> This list has been very forgiving with regards to almost anything in a very
> broad range. But, it at the same time has become unwieldy as it's size has
> grown... a success story that is appreciated.
>
> Yet, I cannot understand why some would be yelling fowl, which in essence is
> hurting my ability to get and provide help in the specific areas where I
> have expertise, with the creation of this proposed other email list.
>
> Cut us loose... Lets get into a complete and total discussion of best
> practices and best software to be used for anti-spam technology layered on
> top of a CentOS mailserver. Now that's a thread I don't think this general
> list would appreciate nor tolerate for more than a few hours.

Any topic on the list goes, just as long as the software is included within
the CentOS distribution.

This is CentOS-Users, the general list for all CentOS users.

-Ross